Individual Health Insurance: Just the Facts
By Robert Lewis, InsWeb.com
Individual health insurance is a type of health care coverage that is provided to individuals rather than to employers or
organizations. It can be sold to an individual or to a family.
According to the National Association of Health Underwriters,
5 percent of Americans get their health coverage from an individual health insurance policy.
Request free health insurance quotes today →
Compare health insurance quotes and find the policy that's right for you.
Benefits of Individual Health Insurance
There are four major advantages to choosing an individual health insurance plan
rather than employer-based coverage:
- You can customize your coverage, where employer-based coverage may provide limited options.
- You have the freedom to pursue better rates with other companies.
- Depending on your circumstances, it may be more affordable than employer-based health insurance, particularly if you're paying for coverage via COBRA.
- It's not dependent on an employer. Individual health insurance plans protect you no matter where you work.
Individual Health Insurance - Finding the Lowest Premium
Maintaining health insurance coverage doesn't have to cost a fortune. Here are a few ways to help keep your health insurance premiums low:
- Costs can vary widely depending on the insurer, sometimes by as much as 50 percent for similar plans. Make sure you shop around.
- The higher your deductible, the lower your monthly premium. You'll be responsible for more out-of-pocket costs should you need to file a claim, but the money you save on your premium may be well worth the risk.
- Keeping yourself healthy can save you money on health insurance costs. Excess weight or tobacco and alcohol usage will drive up your premium.
- If a member of your family isn't in perfect health or is of advanced age, it may be more affordable to purchase separate health insurance plans.
Protect yourself and your family with the health insurance coverage you deserve. Just fill out one simple form and you'll receive free, no-obligation individual health insurance quotes.
Compare health insurance plans today →